“Approximately 16 million girls aged 15 to 19 years and 2.5 million girls under 16 years give birth each year in developing regions (1)(2)”
“Complications during pregnancy and childbirth are the leading cause of death for 15 to 19-year-old girls globally (3)”
“Every year, some 3.9 million girls aged 15 to 19 years undergo unsafe abortions (1)”
“Adolescent mothers (ages 10 to 19 years) face higher risks of eclampsia, puerperal endometritis, and systemic infections than women aged 20 to 24 years.”
“The global adolescent birth rate has declined from 65 births per 1000 women in 1990 to 47 births per 1000 women in 2015 (4). Despite this overall progress, because the global population of adolescents continues to grow, projections indicate the number of adolescent pregnancies will increase globally by 2030, with the greatest proportional increases in West and Central Africa and Eastern and Southern Africa (5)”
BleekerFoundation was founded by one of the Cameroonian born teenage mothers who did manage to fight her way to a full-fledged life. Together with local institutes and key persons in the area, she now sets out to support these girls in their path towards a self-sustained life.
Source and more Read:
(1) UNFPA. Girlhood, not motherhood: Preventing adolescent pregnancy. New York: UNFPA; 2015.
(2) Neal S, Matthews Z, Frost M, et al. Childbearing in adolescents aged 12–15 years in low resource countries: a neglected issue. New estimates from demographic and household surveys in 42 countries. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 2012;91: 1114–18. Every Woman Every Child. The Global Strategy for Women`s, Children`s and Adolescents` Health (2016-2030). Geneva: Every Woman Every Child, 2015.
(3) WHO. Global health estimates 2015: deaths by cause, age, sex, by country and by region, 2000–2015. Geneva: WHO; 2016.
(4) UN DESA, Population Division. World Population Prospects: The 2017 Revision, DVD Edition. New York: UN DESA; 2017.UNDESA, Population Division. World Population Prospects, the 2015 Revision (DVD edition). New York: UNDESA, Population Division, 2015.
(5) UNFPA. Adolescent pregnancy: A review of the evidence. New York: UNFPA, 2013.
Our yearly Fundraiser: Africa4U – African Fashion Show & Market Edition 3.0. in 2020
Our Fundraiser event is full of life, energy and excitement of the African spirit, with an African fashion show, dance groups and market.
To be part of this great evehttp://bleekerfoundation.org/media/africa4u-2018/nt, Visit: https://www.africa4u.nl/